Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Create a Chrome App for Your Class/School Site


This post features all the resources I used to create my Chrome App (The app is actually only a link to my website.). You can download the app at the Chrome Web Store.

Resources I used to create my Chrome App:

1. First, I created my Chrome app image with Google Drawing.
Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 9.35.17 AM
2. Second, I converted my image to a Chrome icon with IconJ. You must have specific dimensions for your PNG icon.
Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 6.15.52 PM
3. Then I used the Chrome tutorial, "Create a Chrome app," to build, text, and pack my app.  Here is the example Google provides you with for your manifest.json .txt file.
Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 10.02.00 AM
4. Next, I used the Google Developers tutorial to publish my app.  This process included registering to Google Checkout Merchant, paying the developer signup fee, and verifying that I was the owner of the website. Since my website domain, davidleeedtech.org, is under Networks Solutions, I had to complete a specific process to verify my website. After verifying my website, I published my app at Google's Webmaster Tools. 
Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 1.36.43 PM
It is also important to note that it took about 2 hours for my app to appear in the Chrome Web Store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment